The whole nation is currently Bake Off obsessed including me! As we get further into this year’s nail-biting series, National Cupcake Week (19th-25th September) and National Cake Week (3rd – 9th October) are at the ideal time to celebrate the nations love for cake and all things baking!
Below are also some fun baking tips from Renshaw and mouth-wateringly tasty recipes from Lakeland for those wanting to experiment at home.
The Ultimate Chocolate Indulgence
Whip up this Heavenly Chocolate cake using Lakeland’s simple and delicious recipe:
Recipe taken from lakeland.co.uk. Lakeland will be exhibiting at the BBC Good Food Show London 11 – 13 Novemberand BBC Good Food Show Birmingham 24 – 27 November and sponsoring the BBC Good Food Stage. Tickets on sale now: bbcgoodfoodshow.com
5 Cupcake Tips
Cupcakes can be really easy to make, but there are common baking mistakes that many of us are guilty of. Here are 5 little tips and tricks that will help you make the perfect batch of cupcakes:
- Work at room temperature – Soft butter is easier to work with than butter straight from the fridge. Also milk and eggs combine better when they’re not too chilly.
- Be kind to your ingredients – Techniques like folding ensure the air bubbles in the sponge are dealt with gently so you don’t end up with floury caverns and tunnels in your cake. Go easy on your mixture and don’t beat it senseless.
- The heat is on – Always pre-heat your oven and ensure it is the required temperature before the cakes go in. You increase the chances of turning out perfectly cooked cakes each time if you get the temperature right early on.
- Go for the middle – Put your tray of cakes on the middle shelf of the oven for even temperature distribution. It allows the warm air to flow evenly over your cakes.
- Storage is key – There’s no joy in a dry cupcake, so keeping them in an airtight container locks in the moisture. You can also pop them in the freezer until they’re needed. Plastic wrap and a freezer bag are best in terms of using your storage space well, particularly if you’re catering for a number of people. You can simply defrost a cupcake as and when you want.
5 Cake Icing Tips
Below are a few tips to ensure you never struggle with a piping bag again!
- Find a suitably sized piping bag. You’ll only want to fill it halfway as any higher and things will get messy.
- Gently add the frosting to the bag. Make it easy for yourself by rolling the bag down and filling it bit by bit.
- Choose the icing tip you want for the frosting you’re after – smooth or contoured. Different tips will create a different tightness to your swirl.
- Once you’ve filled the bag about halfway squeeze out any air bubbles before you twist the bag closed.
- When you are ready to frost your cakes begin at the outer edge and work your way to the centre and conclude with a neat peak.
Tips from www.renshawbaking.com and you can experience their cupcake decorating masterclasses at BBC Good Food Show Winter, NEC Birmingham, 24-27 November.
The Pumpkin Halloween masterpiece
Looking for a Halloween challenge? Try these step-by-step instructions to carve and decorate the ultimate pumpkin cake.
Recipe from www.renshawbaking.com and you can experience their cupcake decorating masterclasses at BBC Good Food Show Winter, NEC Birmingham, 24-27 November.
Banana and Coconut Cupcake recipe
Lakeland have developed some different and delicious cupcake recipes especially for the occasion such as these super fun and ‘yummy’ Banana and Coconut cupcakes. Follow the link for the full recipe as well as other flavours like Blueberry and Coconut Yogurt and Delightful Vanilla.
Beginners guide to Painting cakes
Feeling particularly artistic? Why not learn a whole new set of skills and have a go at painting your next cake? Using your cake as a canvas opens up a whole world of possibilities for cake decoration.
Follow the link for useful tips and a handy video tutorial. https://www.renshawbaking.com/gb/blog/getting-started-with-painted-cakes
Tips/Recipe from www.renshawbaking.com and you can experience their cupcake decorating masterclasses at BBC Good Food Show Winter, NEC Birmingham, 24-27 November.